Monday, October 6, 2014

Purging Ponies

   If you haven't quite caught on yet... I have a lot of Ponies. In addition to collecting them because I find them sweet and fun and reminiscent of my childhood, I also gather up items to photograph for the My Little Pony Collector Inventory Series books.

   There was a time in my life when I needed every release of Pinkie Pie to feel accomplished in my little collecting bubble and I enjoyed each and every one equally. If a version came with an alternate colored accessory or a new hat, I was off on the hunt tracking it down for the joy of finally acquiring it and adding it to my collection. Nowadays, I'm still hunting just as feverishly, but it is usually for the sole purpose of photographing a particular release both in and out of package for my books. I still love Ponies and I still collect them, but I've reached a point where I'm content with one of each character in each pose. This unfortunately creates an issue of excess.

 Unlike fishing where you have the option of catch and release, my hobby requires the acquisition but I can't simply just throw the ponies back. Well, technically I suppose I could, but that wouldn't make economic sense and it really goes against the inner collector in me.

  I need to commit to an outlet to purge my seemingly unending supply of reissued Pony characters, Pony merchandise that I've decided to downsize, and other collection items that no longer fit into my collecting vision. There are a multitude of options for online selling including message boards, Ebay, Amazon, Etsy... the list goes on and on. If you had lots of Pony items to sell, which selling platform would you choose and why?

3 comments:

JF said...

If you want sell them fast, then sell them in lots on eBay.

If you want to make the most money sell them individually on MLP Arena or eBay.

Another alternative is to donate them to a quality thrift store, but be sure to tell them they are Vintage and request that they be placed in a display case and suggest a minimum price per pony.

dannyscotland said...

You can use Etsy for ones that are over 20 years old. The newer ones you aren't supposed to sell on Etsy. I do love Etsy though and if I had vintage ponies to sell, I'd use that. I know nothing about Amazon and little about ebay, though I have bought things there a few times. Ebay is probably your best bet for making money, and I don't think you have to sell them in lots, though you certainly can. When I'm looking though, I don't like lots because usually there are 40 ponies I have and don't want and maybe one that I do want, and I don't have the kind of income to spend $100 on a bunch of ponies I don't have. Just my 2cents. :-)

Elf said...

Curating is so important, especially when you're looking at a limited space to house your collection. Good luck with the sales!

Elf